Monday, January 24, 2011

Hello! I am back (again).

Its been about two and a half months since I posted on the whole wheat, gluten and happy free debacle - and while I must admit that I felt better, nothing could replace my great diet of old. Sick of eating gluten free pasta that tasted like it was manufactured in a pharmacist laboratory or corn pasta that made all my Italian dishes taste, well, Mexican (think nachos), I slowly found myself cheating...Honestly, the added guilt only made it more exciting and now I am having a full blown affair with pasta again! I am sorry but there are some things in life that I just won't budge on. I have tossed most forms of bread out the window, drink less tea and only treat myself to coffee if it is real and fresh. I have almost cut out sugar completely (what's a small chocolate between friends?) and I drink a lot more water. Great stuff! So yes, I am back and what better way to celebrate than to make a wholesome Puttanesca. If you are looking for something super quick but super satisfying, this classic pasta is the answer. A chunky sauce made with tomatoes, olives, anchovies, and capers gives spaghetti the bold flavors that you (and I) crave...

Ingredients:

Salt
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 whole dried chili pepper, broken into bits, or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 anchovy fillets, rinsed
1 can whole Italian tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
1 cup pitted black olives, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons salt-packed capers, rinsed, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes, then rinsed again
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1 pack spaghetti or if you are feeling energetic, refer to my fresh pasta recipe and do it proper.

Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boil.

Heat oil, garlic and chili (with seeds) in a large skillet over medium heat until warm. Add anchovies and continue to heat, breaking up anchovies with a fork. Add tomatoes and stir to combine. Add olives, capers and tomato paste; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente. Drain pasta and return to pot. Immediately add sauce and stir to combine; warm over low heat, tossing, until sauce coats pasta well. Serve immediately.



This is Southern Italian food at its best. Simple. Honest. Tasty. The way life should be!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my.. don't know how yo survived this long on that diet! Can you do an 80/20 system & stick to it strictly only 80& of the time?? Pasta looks superb :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Blog, sorry about the gluten intolerance. I was amazed how many blogs there are with gluten free and how many bad ones.....I love your blog, keep it up

    ReplyDelete